Link popularity is one of the most important factors used by search engines when ranking a web page.
The search engines want to provide high quality results, websites with more inbound links are assumed to be better and are given a higher ranks.
Google's complex Page Rank (PR) system also takes the quality of the links into account. It does this by seeing whether the web page being linked to and the page it's links from meet certain criteria. Based on this, links on your site that contain your keywords or point to other sites with similar content to your site increase your rankings for those specific keywords. What this means is that links to and from popular and relevant sites are far more valuable in determining how well your pages are ranked in the search engines.
Discover how to obtain the best links to your site and also which pages are currently linked to yours.
Tips for Link Popularity
Obtaining links can be very time consuming because you have to request links.
How to obtain links the simply:
- Go to any search engine and enter the following in the search field:
- " keyword" + "add url" or
- "keyword" + "add link" or
- "keyword" + "submit site"
- Where " keyword" is a word or phrase relevant to your website, that also appears in your meta tags
- This way you'll find the most popular and most visited sites for the keyword that allow you to add a link to your site automatically. The sorts of pages that will crop up include guest books and forums.
How to check links to your site
Go to one of the search engines e.g. google or altivista and then:
- Enter your domain name in this way:
- ink:YourWebSiteName.co.za. You do not have to include the http:// or the www part of you address. This will list all the pages that have hyperlinks directed to your website and should also include links to all the pages on your site.
- If you would like more specific results to a particular page on the site you can type link:YourWebSiteName.co.za/link_popularity.php
- You might find the some pages from within the site links to each other, to eliminate this and only list the external sites on Altavista use the following: link:YourWebSiteName.com -url:YourWebSiteName.com